- Written by Super User
- Category: Uncategorised
- Hits: 813
Exploration Revealed is the Society's digital magazine focussed on advancing knowledge and peer-to-peer support on scientific exploration and adventure-led expeditions.
Exploration Revealed is for all individuals involved in scientific exploration and adventure-led expeditions.
Exploration Revealed is a hybrid magazine that includes submissions from both magazine and peer-reviewed academic articles.
Exploration Revealed has been created with a view to learning through support, shared experiences and the passing on of knowledge.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
CALL FOR ARTICLES FOR INAUGRAL ISSUE IS OPEN.
Deadline for article submission is 26 July 17:00 BST
Two article types:
• magazine articles ranging between 300-800 words, according to the maximum limit specified per section
• peer-reviewed academic articles a maximum of 1,500 words
We invite articles for the following sections (for further information, download our Section Guide):
• Climate sensitive expeditioning (max 800 words)
• Country profile (max 800 words)
• Epic fails (max 300 words)
• Ethical dilemmas (max 800 words)
• Expedition impact (max 800 words)
• Expedition logistics (max 800 words)
• Expedition revealed (max 800 words)
• Extreme expeditioning (max 800 words)
• In-country connections (max 300 words)
• Innovation in the field (max 800 words)
• Lessons from the grave (max 300 words)
• Mind matters; bodily functions in the field (max 800 words)
• Tales from the field (max 800 words)
• The making of the documentary (max 300 words + link for trailer/film webpage)
• Top kit tips (max 300 words)
• Unwanted expedition souvenirs (max 300 words)
• Young scientific explorers page (could be pictures with a caption, if article max 500 words)
• Other – we're open to section heading ideas
JOIN THE EDITORIAL TEAM
Exploration Revealed is experimental and has long term ambitions for innovative digital growth. We are currently seeking our inaurgral editorial team. We plan to invite a guest editor for each issue but seek to recruit a volunteer editorial team for the years 2021-22.
We currently have vacancies for:
• Layout editor
• Copy editor
• Section editor – magazine articles
• Section editor – academic articles
• Section editor – young scientific explorers (must be over 16 years old)
• Images editor
• Peer review panel coordinator
• Social media coordinator
Editorial team volunteers, on publication of the second issue they are involved in, will receive complimentary SES membership for a year. The Society reserves the right to review rewards and benefits to the editorial team.
JOIN THE PEER REVIEW PANEL
Exploration Revealed uses double-blind peer review.
Peer Review Panel members:
• Dr Emma Barrett OBE FRGS, Professor of Psychology, Security and Trust at University of Manchester.
• Professor Mark Mulligan, Department of Geography, King’s College London.
• Dr Ross Piper.
• Professor Andrew Shortland, Professor of Archaeological Science and Director of Cranfield Forensic Institute.
We welcome expressions of interest in joining our panel from a wide variety of disciplines. Our peer review panel is appointed to:
• Assure the SES board the content is robust
• Assure those submitting articles that it is of appropriate calibre and provide a steer on how to communicate to SES membership and friends.
We anticipate requesting named peer reviewers review 1-3 1,500 word articles a year. Named peer reviewers can delegate article review to a suitable researcher known to them who then would be eligible to join the peer review panel. They will be held accountable for timely turn around of that review.
Submitted academic articles will be screened and plagiarism checked with i-authenticate prior to assignment to our peer reviewers.
Peer review panel members, on receipt of their first review of the year for Exploration Revealed will receive complimentary SES membership for that year. The Society reserves the right to review rewards and benefits to peer review panel members.