Exploration Revealed (ISSN 2754-4303) is Scientific Exploration Society's (SES) digital publication – a hybrid magazine that aims to advance knowledge about, and provide peer-to-peer support for, scientific and adventure-led expeditions. It has been created with a view to learning through support, shared experiences, and the passing on of knowledge.Watch the LAUNCH VIDEO with SES Trustee Briony Turner and SES Member Alicia Colson talking about the inspiration behind Exploration Revealed.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
1. Make your submission HERE
2. Author's Style Guide
3. Section Style Guide
CALL FOR ARTICLES
Our editors are happy to receive articles throughout the year and operate review and editorial decisions on a rolling basis.
TWO article types:
• magazine articles ranging between 300-800 words, according to the maximum limit specified per section
• peer-reviewed academic articles a maximum of 1,500 words
We invite articles for the following sections (for further information, download our Section Style Guide):
• Climate sensitive expeditioning (max 800 words)
• Country profile (max 800 words)
• Epic fails (max 300 words)
• Ethical dilemmas (max 800 words)
• Expedition impact (max 800 words)
• Expedition logistics (max 800 words)
• Expedition revealed (max 800 words)
• Extreme expeditioning (max 800 words)
• In-country connections (max 300 words)
• Innovation in the field (max 800 words)
• Lessons from the grave (max 300 words)
• Mind matters; bodily functions in the field (max 800 words)
• Tales from the field (max 800 words)
• The making of the documentary (max 300 words + link for trailer/film webpage)
• Top kit tips (max 300 words)
• Unwanted expedition souvenirs (max 300 words)
• Young scientific explorers page (could be pictures with a caption, if article max 500 words)
• Other – we're open to section heading ideas
JOIN THE EDITORIAL TEAM
Exploration Revealed is experimental and has long-term ambitions for innovative digital growth. We plan to invite a guest editor for each issue and seek a volunteer editorial team.
List of Editors (acknowledgements):
• Dr Alicia Colson
• Alyssa Sargent
• Briana Gervat
• Briony Turner
• Michael Murphy
• Samantha Moore
• Alex Kerridge
We currently have vacancies for:
• Layout editor
• Copy editor
• Section editor – magazine articles
• Section editor – academic articles
• Section editor – young scientific explorers (must be over 16 years old)
• Images editor
• Peer review panel coordinator
• Social media coordinator
Editorial team volunteers, on publication of the second issue they are involved in, will receive one year's complimentary SES membership. The Society reserves the right to review rewards and benefits to the editorial team.
JOIN THE PEER REVIEW PANEL
Exploration Revealed uses double-blind peer review.
Peer Review Panel members:
• Dr Emma Barrett OBE FRGS, Professor of Psychology, Security and Trust, University of Manchester, UK.
• Dr Richard Byrne, Rural Security Research Group, Harper Adams University, Newport, UK.
• Dr Susan Canney, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK.
• Professor Mark Mulligan, Department of Geography, King’s College London, UK.
• Dr Ross Piper FRES, Fellow, Royal Entomological Society, UK.
• Professor Andrew Shortland, Professor of Archaeological Science and Director of Cranfield Forensic Institute, UK.
• Dr Shane McCorristine, Lecturer, School of History, Classics, and Archaeology, University of Newcastle, UK.
• Dr Ash Routen, Research Fellow, Leicester Diabetes Centre, Leicester General Hospital, University of Leicester, UK.
• Dr Carina Ren, Professor (Associate), Department of Culture and Global Studies, Aalborg University, Denmark.
• Claire Grogan (Barts Health NHS Trust).
• Professor Chris Imray PhD FRCS FRCP FFSEM FRGS (Consultant, Vascular and Renal Transplant Surgeon), Deputy Medical Director of NIHR LCRN West Midlands.
We welcome expressions of interest in joining our panel from a wide variety of disciplines. Our peer review panel is appointed to:
• Assure the SES board the content is robust
• Assure those submitting articles that it is of appropriate calibre and provide a steer on how to communicate to SES membership and friends.
We anticipate requesting named peer reviewers review 1-3 1,500 word articles a year. Named peer reviewers can delegate article review to a suitable researcher known to them who then would be eligible to join the peer review panel. They will be held accountable for the timely turnaround of that review.
Submitted academic articles will be screened and plagiarism checked with i-authenticate prior to assignment to our peer reviewers.
Peer review panel members, on receipt of their first review of the year for Exploration Revealed will receive complimentary SES membership for that year. The Society reserves the right to review rewards and benefits to peer review panel members.
Exploration Revealed is a publication of SES and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This means you can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, but you must credit the original source. You are permitted to use the material for commercial purposes. Please see the license for more details.
Copyright in the typographical design and layout of the printed publication vests in the publisher, SES.